- 2008: Ph.D. in Industrial Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (cum Laude – advisor: Prof. E. Tronconi), Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- 2004: Master of Science in Chemical Engineering (cum laude), Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- 2019 – present: Full Professor of Chemical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- 2015 – 2019: Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- 2008 – 2015: Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- 2011: Alexander von Humboldt Fellow, Department of Chemistry, TU München, Germany
- 2009 – 2010: Alexander von Humboldt Fellow, Fritz-Haber-Institut, Max Planck Society, Berlin, Germany
- 2009: Visiting Scholar, Fritz-Haber-Institut, Max Planck Society, Berlin, Germany
- 2006 – 2007: Visiting Scholar, Department of Chemical Engineering, Center for Catalytic Science and Technology, University of Delaware, Newark (USA)
- 2019: selected for the I&EC Class of Influential Researchers 2019, American Chemical Society
- 2018: selected for the Reaction Chemistry and Engineering “2019 Emerging Investigators special issue”, Royal Society of Chemistry
- 2018: Pregl Lecture, Kemijski inštitut, National Institute of Chemistry – Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 2017: Listed in the selection of Italy’s 100 best under-40 researchers currently active both in Italy and abroad, CARTADITALIA – Istituto Italiano di Cultura, Brussels
- 2016: selected for a Feature Article in Chemical Communications, Royal Society of Chemistry
- 2016: ERC Starting Grant – ERC, European Research Council
- 2016: selected for the Early Career Series of ChemPlusChem, Wiley
- 2015: SIR (Scientific Independence of Young Researchers) – MIUR, Rome
- 2012: Young Scientist Award at the 15th International Congress on Catalysis (Munich, Germany, July 1-6, 2012), presented by the International Association of Catalysis Societies (IACS).
- 2010: Young Researcher Award at the 21st International Symposium on Chemical Reaction Engineer (ISCRE), June 13-16, 2010, Philadelphia, USA
- 2009: Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship
- 2008: Young Scientist Award at the 14th International Congress on Catalysis (Seoul, Korea, July 13-18, 2008), presented by the International Association of Catalysis Societies (IACS).
PUBLICATION DETAILS and RESEARCH INTERESTS
During my research activity, I have developed interdisciplinary and multiscale skills and expertise, spanning from macroscopic chemical reaction engineering to first-principles studies addressing elementary processes at the nanoscale. This research experience was gained in an interdisciplinary corridor between catalysis and reaction engineering and between physical chemistry (semi-empirical and first-principles methods) and chemical engineering (transport phenomena, applied mathematics, numerical analysis) in close interaction with kinetic experiments.
My main active research areas are:
- first principles multiscale modeling of catalytic chemical processes: development of methodologies for coupling atomistic simulations and chemical reaction engineering and their application in the context of heterogeneous catalysis;
- microkinetic modeling and analysis (CH4 activation; CO2 activation; syngas production at short-contact-times): detailed mechanistic studies and microkinetic development of catalytic processes.
- computational fluid dynamics of reacting flows: development and application of a numerical framework for the multiscale analysis of chemical processes (catalyticfoam.polimi.it);
- operando-Raman kinetic studies and analysis: coupling between spectroscopy and kinetic measurements in order to include structure-effects in kinetic analysis of catalytic processes.
COMMISSIONS OF TRUST
- 2019-2020: Vice-Chair of the CHEMREACTOR-24 Program Committee, XXIV International Conference on Chemical Reactors, Milano, September 2020
- 2018: organizer (together with prof. J. Thybaut, Gent University) of the International workshop “Bridging Laboratory Chemical Kinetics to Industrial Scale Reactors – 2nd edition”, Firenze, May 23-27, 2018
- 2017: member of the organizing committee of ISCRE 25 (International Symposium of Chemical Reaction Engineering), Firenze, Italy, May 20-23, 2018
- 2017: organizer (together with prof. J. Thybaut, Gent University) of the International workshop “Bridging Laboratory Chemical Kinetics to Industrial Scale Reactors”, Firenze, August 23-25, 2017
- 2015: member of the International Scientific Committee of ISCRE 24 (International Symposium of Chemical Reaction Engineering), Minneapolis, USA, June 12-15, 2016
- 2013: organizer (together with G. Groppi, E. Tronconi) of the European Colloquium on Chemical Reaction Engineering 2013 – “First-principles methods in Chemical Reaction Engineering”, Politecnico di Milano, Italy, October 17-18, 2013 – sponsored by the European Federation of Chemical Engineering (EFCE).
- 2011: organizer (together with R. Horn and K. Reuter) of DeMiR 2011: From Detailed Microkinetics to the Reactor – European Workshop on Multiscale Catalytic Reactor Engineering, TUM, Munich, September 6, 2011